Monday, September 2, 2013

GYDO: Cristin Terrill


Cristin Terrill, Author of All Our Yesterdays
(Happy Book Birthday! All Our Yesterdays releases today!)

Fiction Freak:What's your most embarrassing moment?
Cristin Terrill: Other than my entire middle-school existence? There are so many to choose from. The one that first springs to mind was my very first day of freshman orientation at college. It was already a very stressful day, because I was incredibly nervous and my mom, dad, stepmother, and 6 month old half-sister were there "helping" me move in. Halfway through unpacking I got a note to go to one of the rooms where they were doing administrative stuff. I got there and found out that they'd never received my vaccination records from my doctor, so I had to get a shot RIGHT THEN. I have a severe needle phobia (like, I usually pass out in the doctor's office just from being near all the needles) so all the stress made me immediately burst into tears. My dad looked at me in shock and said, "You're really serious about that needle thing, huh?" and I was like, "YEAH DAD, I REALLY AM." Meanwhile, I'm crying uncontrollably and making a total idiot of myself in front of about fifty of the brand new classmates I was so nervous about meeting. Luckily, I managed to stay conscious, but I still shudder thinking about that moment! 
What's been the most memorable moment that has something to do with your writing?
The night I first got an offer on ALL OUR YESTERDAYS. I was out to dinner with a bunch of my writers friends and ran outside into the bitter cold without my coat to answer my agent's call. She told me not to tell anyone we'd received an offer, so I had to go back into dinner and pretend nothing had happened. My two closest friends could tell something was up, though, so I told them what had happened in the parking lot after dinner was over. We basically just hugged and cried and laughed for like an hour.

What's your most anticipated 2014 or late 2013 read?
THE DREAM THIEVES, the sequel to Maggie Stiefvater's THE RAVEN BOYS. That was my favorite read of last year, and I'm so missing those characters and dying to see what they're up to!

What's your biggest pet peeve?
People who say "literally" when they mean "figuratively."

If you could learn a talent in a day, what would it be?
Hmm, I'd love to be able to draw or ballroom-dance or speak a new language, but I think I'd have to pick learning to play the guitar. I can play the trumpet and French horn from my many years of school band, but you can't just whip out your French horn around the campfire with your friends, you know? 

You can meet anyone, who is it?
William Shakespeare. I can pick someone dead, right? I have a master's in Shakespeare Studies, and I have so many questions I would love to have answered!

What YA character would you LOVE to meet?
Tough one! Well, Peeta is my YA boyfriend, so it would be good if we actually knew each other, but I would also kill to have a slumber party with Frankie Landau-Banks and THE DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE'S Zuzana.

Give us some random facts about you!
I've lived in twelve cities in two countries,
Judi Dench overheard me calling her creepy once, and I saw a flying saucer one night at my grandparents' house when I was fifteen. 

Favorite
2013 debut:
I'm reading MAID OF SECRETS by Jennifer McGowan right now and really enjoying it. There's also this awesome book I heard about called ALL OUR YESTERDAYS...

Series:
HIS DARK MATERIALS by Philip Pullman

TV Show:
I'm a TV addict, so I don't know if I could choose. Some favs are Arrested Development, Friday Night Lights, Firefly, and Battlestar Galactica.

Website:
My life would not be worth living without Netflix.

Animal:
Dolphin. Or sea lion. Or sea otter. Basically any sea mammal will do.

Color:
Blue

Food:
French fries

Bookstore:
Book People in Austin, TX

Social Media:
Twitter, although I really love Tumblr too.

This or that
eBook or physical?
Physical. Ebooks are easier to read, but I like to be able to look at my books.

Paperback or hardback?
Hardbacks. They're prettier.

Twitter or Facebook?
Twitter! Facebook and I just never clicked, and I'm always on Twitter.

Dogs or cats?
The cat is my spirit animal, although I love dogs too.

Morning bird or night owl?
Night owl. I basically became a writer so that I would never have to get up early.

Junk food or candy?
Junk food. I'm not much for candy, but French fries or brownies or pizza? Love.

Contemporary or paranormal/fantasy?
Paranormal/fantasy. It has to be a really special book to make me want to relive high school!

One Direction or Justin Bieber?
Although I've literally never heard any of their music, I'll go with One Direction. I have a weakness for British accents.

NUTELLA OR NUTELLA?
I make these Nutella crepes that would BLOW YOUR MIND, MY FRIEND.

All Our Yesterdays Blurb
Marina has everything. She’s got money, popularity, and a bright future. Plus, she’s best friends with the boy next door, who happens to be a gorgeous prodigy from one of America’s most famous families.
Em has nothing. Imprisoned in a small white cell in the heart of a secret military base, all she has is the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.
But Marina and Em have one big thing in common: they’re the same person.
Now Em must travel back four years in time in order to avert the terrible future from which she’s fled, and there’s only one way to do it. She must kill the person who invented the time machine in the first place: someone from her past. A person she loved.
But Marina won’t let them go without a fight.


Author Bio
Cristin Terrill is a YA author and aspiring grown-up. She holds a BA in Drama from Vassar College and an MA from the Shakespeare Institute in Stratford-upon-Avon and has worked in the theatre on both sides of the pond. She now teaches creative writing to children and teens in Washington, D.C. 

Media
Website
Tumblr
Twitter
Goodreads

Buy

No comments:

Post a Comment